What are Diamond and CBN Metal Bonded Grinding Wheels?
Diamond and CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride) grinding wheels are two types of superabrasive tools used in various industries for precision grinding. These wheels are known for their exceptional hardness, durability, and cutting ability. They are widely used in applications that require high-precision and high-efficiency grinding, such as the automotive, aerospace, and medical industries.
Advantages of Diamond and CBN Metal Bonded Grinding Wheels
Diamond and CBN metal bonded grinding wheels offer a range of advantages compared to conventional abrasive wheels. These advantages include:
- Superior Hardness: Diamond and CBN are the hardest known materials, making them ideal for grinding hard and brittle materials such as carbides, ceramics, and glass.
- Long Tool Life: The durability of diamond and CBN allows for extended tool life, reducing the frequency of wheel replacement and increasing productivity.
- High Grinding Efficiency: The sharp cutting edges of diamond and CBN grains result in higher material removal rates and improved surface finishes.
- High Precision: Diamond and CBN wheels can achieve tighter tolerances and finer surface finishes, making them suitable for applications that require high precision and accuracy.
- Cool Grinding: The excellent thermal conductivity of diamond and CBN helps dissipate heat during grinding, reducing the risk of thermal damage to the workpiece.
How to Dress Diamond and CBN Metal Bonded Grinding Wheels?
Dressing a diamond or CBN metal bonded grinding wheel is essential to maintain its cutting ability and optimize its performance. The dressing process involves removing debris, exposing new abrasive grains, and restoring the wheel’s original shape. Here are the steps to dress these grinding wheels:
Step 1: Select the Right Dressing Tool
Choosing the correct dressing tool is crucial for achieving effective results. Different types of dressing tools can be used, including single-point diamond dressers, rotary diamond dressers, and dressing sticks. The selection depends on the wheel size, shape, and desired surface finish.
Step 2: Mount the Dressing Tool
Securely mount the selected dressing tool on the grinding machine. Ensure that it is properly aligned and positioned to avoid interference with the rotating grinding wheel.
Step 3: Start the Dressing Process
Start the dressing process by bringing the dressing tool into contact with the rotating grinding wheel. Apply a light and steady feed pressure to prevent excessive wear or damage to the dressing tool and the grinding wheel.
Step 4: Traverse the Dressing Tool
Traverse the dressing tool across the width of the grinding wheel in a controlled manner. This ensures even dressing and exposes new abrasive grains. The traverse speed should be consistent to maintain uniform dressing.
Step 5: Dress as Needed
Continue dressing the grinding wheel until the desired condition is achieved. If the wheel becomes loaded with debris or loses its cutting ability during the grinding process, stop and redress the wheel as necessary.
Diamond and CBN metal bonded grinding wheels are vital tools for achieving high-precision grinding in various industries. Their superior hardness, long tool life, high efficiency, and precision grinding capabilities make them indispensable in applications where accuracy and quality are essential. Proper dressing of these grinding wheels ensures optimal performance, prolongs their lifespan, and maintains consistent results during the grinding process.
Remember to always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and safety precautions when working with diamond and CBN metal bonded grinding wheels.